Legal Question in Family Law in California

Father of Children Showing Up Unexpected

My boyfriend and I have lived together for almost 7 years. He owns the house. We have two small children together. He has now decided to kick his family out, and move his mother in. We do have a case for child support etc., already going through the courts. He has now moved out of the house temporarily (yes, he is living with his mother) until such time as I can find other suitable living arrangements, pack and move. He never gives me any notice before he comes over. He'll show up even after he says he is not coming by that night. He lets himself in the house, wakes us up some mornings, will do his laundry, grab something of his, snoop around, come into my room when I'm dressing or in the shower, and then leave. Can he do this? Just show up unexpected? Let himself in? I know he owns the house, but don't I have any rights to privacy? He is still making all the house payments and is paying the utilities.

Asked on 4/13/09, 2:32 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Colin Greene Russakow, Greene & Tan, LLP

Re: Father of Children Showing Up Unexpected

While you may have some privacy rights, he owns the house, so in the absence of a lease agreement that defines you as tenants, I don't think you can keep him out.

Read more
Answered on 4/13/09, 5:21 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California