Legal Question in Family Law in California

I am a father whos recently gone through a divorce, i was let go from my job in april and have ben on unemployment

since than but now i have exhausted all my benefits. My ex-wife has sole custody of our 3 year old

but our papers say that when i get a job and can provide health insurance we can change the

custody agreement. Our papers also say i owe her the sum of 100 dollars in child support in which

we are handling and not anyone else. She has told me not to worry about it until i get a job.

Now she tells me she can no longer afford daycare for our 3 year old and i need to start paying her.

She lives in nevada which is where we filed, and im living in california which is where my family and

all of hers live. Also right now

we split time with our daughter pretty much 50/50. I can't afford child support until i find a job what can i do?

Asked on 9/09/13, 12:14 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys


If you already split time "pretty much 50/50", what is it you would want to change regarding custody/visitation? With respect to child support, it is based on time-share between you and the child's mother, as well as your respective incomes. Based on what you have indicated, I don't see how there would be any order for child support at this time. However, if there is an order for child support, and you mentioned that your papers say you owe her $100.00, you will continue to owe that amount per month until the order is modified.


Read more
Answered on 9/09/13, 1:54 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California