Legal Question in Family Law in California

If I filed for divorce in California and my spouse filed in Arizona who's divorce goes through? I served her my papers first and turned in the proof of service. So which state will our divorce go through and who will be the petitioner?

Asked on 9/05/13, 2:44 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services

That's a more complicated problem than you may think, and may require one of you to "surrender" to get a final binding judgment. If you have been living in different states a long time, each court may have jurisdiction to issue a bare divorce, but not have personal jurisdiction to issue support orders or divide property. So you may have a stand-off until one of you agrees to litigate in the other's state. It also depends on things like how long each of you has lived in your respective states, whether there are children, and how long they have been living in what state. If there are children and they have been living in one state primarily for at least six months, the other state will almost invariably abstain from exercising jurisdiction over the case, even if there is otherwise equal or divided jurisdiction.

Read more
Answered on 9/05/13, 2:55 pm

Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach

I agree with Mr. McCormick. Right now it depends on which state has personal jurisdiction, and whether the spouse's are going to challenge the other state's exercise of jurisdiction over them. My big question to you is whether you have been served with the Arizona divorce first, and whether you have grounds or plans to contest jurisdiction?

Read more
Answered on 9/05/13, 3:52 pm

The previous two answers pretty much set forth the basic issues.


Read more
Answered on 9/05/13, 4:16 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California