Legal Question in Family Law in California

I want to find out what rights I have if I divorce my husband.

We have been married 18 years, and have two children, 16 and 13 years old. I am not a US citizen, only a resident alien since we were married in 1993.

Most of our married life I have stayed at home, taking care of the kids and house. I started working as a realtor in November of last year, but so far has no income of my own.

We have more expenses than income now, and are not in a good financial position. We have a mortgage, the kids go to private schools, we have one car payment, and lots of bills. As I see it, we would not be able to have two rents if we divorced, with the income of my husband only.

I would not give up the kids under any circumstances. I am the one who has taken care of them and my husband has a bad relationship with our 16 year daughter.

Also, is there a possibility for me to move back to Sweden with the kids? This is not something that I really want to do, but I am alone here, with my family in Sweden.

I appreciate your response.

Asked on 8/02/11, 5:40 pm

2 Answer from Attorneys

Arlene Kock Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock APLC

You have a very long marriage and there could be substantial property and support rights at stake along with your custody concerns. Please locate an attorney in your area for a consultation to go over your legal options. Your plan to move to Sweden should also be part of the legal analysis when you meet with an attorney.

Read more
Answered on 8/03/11, 7:24 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California