Legal Question in Family Law in California

Is it illegal to convince an 86 year old grandmother to change her will while she is experiencing mental decline?

Asked on 6/19/22, 2:14 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Haapala, Thompson & Abern, LLP

It depends on the degree of the decline and the methods of persuasion used in convincing her to make the change. If the decline is too great the change will be legally invalid. If improper pressure or conduct is used, that may void the change or even constitute financial elder abuse. But just persuading someone suffering mild decline through normal conversation is not illegal. It’s all a matter of the facts, circumstances and details.

Read more
Answered on 6/20/22, 8:27 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California