Legal Question in Family Law in California

I live in Las Vegas, NV and my case is in CA at the N. Hill LA courthouse... I received a Request for Order on Child Support Modification from my ex as Pro Per. These documents were sent to me in Las Vegas with a Proof of Service by Mail. This is my question... The courts still show my attorney as the attorney on file, under the Case Summary. Should my ex have filled with my attorney?

Should I still file as Pro Per and see what the court saids? We had this situation once before and we had to return do to the fact my attorney was on file or should I notify my attorney, have them sign a Substitution of Attorney & give it to the judge the date of the hearing?

Please advise.

Asked on 7/20/13, 1:00 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach

I understand now why you posted in California.

Do you still have an attorney or not? That is not entirely clear from your post. The question that I have for you is whether or not your attorney ever signed and served a substitution of attorney. If your ex received one, or their attorney received one, it is the reason that papers are being served on you. The fact that the substitution of attorney does not appear on the online registry is of no import, as the court clerks sometimes do not enter the data correctly, and often days or months later.

Read more
Answered on 7/20/13, 2:41 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California