Legal Question in Family Law in California

Paternity rights

I am writing in regards to a situation my son has got himself into; in hopes of fixing this and doing the right thing.(now)

He feels very strongly he is the biological father to a baby boy created from ''year of irresponsible playing around'' And not at all a ''girlfriend or relationship situation.

He is more than willing to accept take resposibilities for his action. So much, that he wants to have custody....because she is not mother material, and doesn't have the interest either. However she will and has already proved she is going to play games...all this child's life, which my son wants to stop it before it starts and raise his son. (if it he his son) Physical characteristics and she also admits, the baby is my son's. But she didn't put anyone on the birth certificate. So she is playing ''Control Freak'' and at the same time...NOT giving the baby love and caring that he son wants to do this with all his heart....IF he is indeed the father.

What is the first step for him at this point....the baby is not even 2 weeks yet and this situation needs to be fixed immediately for the baby boy sake. Suggestions?

Advice? For a speedy established case?

Asked on 1/11/06, 8:19 am

4 Answers from Attorneys

Mona Montgomery Mona Montgomery, Attorney at law

Re: Paternity rights

Go to the hospital and file a "Voluntary Declaraton of Paternity." They will probably ask for DNA which you will give them. This is only one step in a litigation process that will involve your son filing a "Motion to Establish Paternity" but I thought I would pass it on.

Read more
Answered on 1/11/06, 12:44 pm

Donald Holben Donald R. Holben & Associates, APC

Re: Paternity rights

It appears his heart and actions in right place, but he should do paternity test to make sure and to protect himself and child, then take action to establish paternity.

Read more
Answered on 1/11/06, 4:25 pm
H.M. Torrey The Law Offices of H.M. Torrey

Re: Paternity rights

We definitely empathize with the overall situation and deeply commend you and your son for wanting to a responsible, involved father, unlike so many others out there unfortunately. To answer your questions in a nutshell, the first legal step here would be to have a paternity test done, and thereafter all parental rights will stem from the results and court proceedings. If you/your son would like prompt, effective, affordable legal assistance in this matter, contact us directly today for a free phone consultation.

Read more
Answered on 1/11/06, 5:39 pm
Lyle Johnson Bedi and Johnson Attorneys at Law

Re: Paternity rights

He should file a petition to establish paternity and request a dna test. If the child is his then he can petition for custody. He needs to make preparations for taking care of a child.

Read more
Answered on 1/12/06, 12:38 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California