Legal Question in Family Law in California

can I relocate prior to a full custody hearing, to escape an abused relationship

Asked on 10/10/10, 1:36 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

JULIEANN SAYEGH Law Offices of Julieann R. Sayegh

If there are orders already in place I do not recommend that as you will be in contempt of court. You can always file an ex-parte emergency hearing if you or the children are in danger.

Read more
Answered on 10/15/10, 2:05 pm
Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services

It also depends on how far you want to relocate. Probably the better course if it will be safe, is to go to court on an emergency domestic violence restraining order against him, and then go to court to sort out where you will live and what custody arrangements there will be. If, however, you are at risk for serious injury, just get yourself and the kids to a battered womens shelter and sort things out from there.

Read more
Answered on 10/15/10, 5:30 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California