Legal Question in Family Law in California

my son want to move out of the home last year of school he is 17 what can i do

Asked on 8/21/13, 12:19 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Kubler The Kubler Law Firm

Well, can he earn a living to support himself then he can petition for emancipation, otherwise is he just wanting to live with a friend's family (and presumably just do drugs and drink alcohol)?

Maybe tell him no, that he'll be a runaway as you're not giving him permission and where he will be staying will commit a crime by harboring a runaway and contributing to the delinquency of a minor. If he goes anyways you can call the police and report a juvenile runaway and give them the location. The place he is staying at will eventually not want to be in trouble for harboring a runaway juvenile. The police will go and determine whether he is a minor and the whether the place he is staying at knows he's a runaway. I believe the police will drive him back to you. If it becomes habitual the Courts may get involved, probably fine him, punish him, order drug screening, suspend his license, etc..

Read more
Answered on 8/25/13, 2:36 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California