Legal Question in Civil Litigation in California

I own (through my business) a free and clear three bedroom, 2 ba., (and small office) home in Ca. I originally lived in the home but moved out and rented it to my father--still using the office for daily business. Recently he passed away. A female guest/ friend has been living with him for apx. 7 mos. --having no financial or legal

obligations whatsoever ( Dad paid for everything) I am planning to move back into the house and allow the guest to stay. The guest doesn't want me to move in. What are my rights?

Asked on 9/05/14, 11:08 am

4 Answers from Attorneys

Armen Tashjian Law Offices of Armen M. Tashjian

Evict her.

Read more
Answered on 9/05/14, 12:45 pm
Edward Hoffman Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman

Your question is about landlord-tenant law, not general civil litigation. Please re-post it under that category. More lawyers with the relevant expertise will see it there, and future users with similar questions will be more likely to find it.

Read more
Answered on 9/05/14, 4:30 pm
Charles Perry Law Offices of Charles R. Perry

If the woman was truly a guest, you have the right to evict her. The only possible problem I can think of is if she says your father promised her that she could stay after he passed away -- but that type of claim is in most cases very difficult to prove without a writing to that effect.

Read more
Answered on 9/06/14, 1:39 am
Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach

Give her a thirty (30) day notice to terminate her as a tenant at will. If she does not move by the end of 30 days, file an unlawful detainer lawsuit against her.

Read more
Answered on 9/08/14, 7:03 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in California