Legal Question in Civil Litigation in California

someone has made a accusation that my child was molested. i talked to my child and of course this is not true. im willing to have her medically tested but would hate to put her trew this. the person accused of this is also confused. the person who made the accusation is not even around us or spends time with us. this person continues to tell others this with out any type of proof

Asked on 5/14/12, 3:58 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Edward Hoffman Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman

Don't be too quick to dismiss the accusation. You seem too concerned about how to stop the accusations, and not concerned enough about whether they are true.

Young children are often afraid to talk about things like this. What's more, they are usually eager to please their parents and are very attuned to their parents' emotional cues. If your voice and demeanor suggested what you wanted her to say, she may very well have given you the answer you wanted regardless of whether it was true.

Medical tests may not be helpful if much time has passed, but a trained social worker may be able to interview your child and get a sense of what actually happened. There are also people who can interview the accuser (who should probably be questioned before the child) and, if need be, the accused.

You may very well be right that nothing happened. But I urge you not to just rely on your own conclusions.

Read more
Answered on 5/14/12, 4:24 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in California