Legal Question in Civil Litigation in California

Im suing my step dad for stealing all of my money that i got from a wrongful death lawsuit settlement, about $300,000. He has bought many exspesive things with my money such as classic and new cars, seadoo's,travel trailers, dirtbikes, furniture, jewelry,etc. Well needless to say he doesn't have a job so i was wondering if it would be possible to have those assets liquidated as part of the payment when i get a judgment in my favor. Also i have all the proofI belive I would need to win my case but I desprately need a lawyer. The only thing is with everything that he stole he left me broke so I cant really aford a lawyer but I was hoping that maybe there was a bro bono lawyer or a lawyer that is willing to work on a contingency fee that would be willing to help me and take on my case. I really really need help me with this matter ASAP

Asked on 3/16/12, 9:22 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Michael Stone Law Offices of Michael B. Stone Toll Free 1-855-USE-MIKE

Sorry this happened to you. Unless you can show that he has income or assets that can be seized to pay a judgment, there's little likelihood that you will be able to interest any attorney in taking the case on a contingent fee basis.

Read more
Answered on 3/16/12, 9:27 pm

Herb Fox Law Office of Herb Fox

Mr. Stone is correct, but the amount you are seeking is not so large that it is unrealistic that you could ultimately collect, assuming that your claims have legal merit. You should consult with an attorney who might consider taking the case on a contingency fee basis, If you need assistance in locating an attorney, please contact my office.

Read more
Answered on 3/16/12, 9:44 pm
Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

Expanding on my previous answer, to clarify:

You will likely find an attorney willing to do so only IF a case has merit [likelihood of winning and the other side found liable], value [substantial provable damages] and collectability [defendant with sufficient insurance coverage or available assets to collect against]. Without all three, you’re wasting your money on suing. If you think you can show the attorney all three exist, feel free to contact me

Read more
Answered on 3/17/12, 1:42 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in California