Legal Question in Immigration Law in California

I was able to get a conditional resident card through spousal sponsorship but our marriage ended and I was not able to adjust my status to terminate my conditional resident status.I filed for I 751 but was denied.I haven't received any letters yet from USCIS regarding removal proceedings/date 10 mos after I got denied.I have a Bachelor's Degree in Physical Therapy from another country and I was able to get a job as a PT aide for 2yrs then got a license to practice PT Assistant and was able to practice for 6mos before I got denied.Is it still possible for me to stay/work here in the US through employment sponsorship after I 751 denial? Can 245i help me since my father is a naturalized.

Asked on 7/30/12, 1:21 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Seeta Nangia Law Offices of Seeta Nangia

Even though you were denied in the past, you are not precluded from re-filing your I-751 with a waiver of the joint-filing requirement. 245i only helps someone adjust status if there was an immigration petition filed on their behalf before April 30, 2001. Once your conditional resident status expired, you no longer had authorization to work. You should also call the immigration court's 800 number to make sure you were not were never put into removal proceedings. I strongly recommend that you consult with an immigration attorney to go over what options you have.

Seeta L. Nangia, Esq.

Law Offices of Seeta Nangia

Exclusively Practicing Immigration Law

Phone: (415) 273-9123

Email: [email protected]


Read more
Answered on 7/30/12, 1:41 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in California