Legal Question in Immigration Law in California

Can they just force us to get a joint sponsor if my income (I'm sponsoring my husband) does not meet the poverty guidelines? My husband went to the interview at the consulate (he's abroad), and was told that he should get my most recent Tax Return (2012) and that if it was still too low, we'd need a joint sponsor. Unfortunately, i still don't meet the requirements. We do have 3 times the difference in cash, but it seems the consulate doesn't care for that. I understand the poverty level is important, but i don't consider us "poors". My husband owns a house in his home country. Any help is much appreciated, we really have no one who could be a joint sponsor. Thank you in advance.

Asked on 4/04/13, 6:04 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Bill Klein Law Office of Bill Travis Klein

If the sponsor does not have the required amount of income then a joint sponsor is required and it is a standard requirement. There are, in many cases, ways around that but it is very fact specific. Talk with an Immigration Attorney and the attorney may be able to help you prepare evidence and other documents to overcome this problem.

Read more
Answered on 4/04/13, 7:28 am

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law

Those are the requirements. You will either need a co-sponsor or be able to show enough other assets (investments, real property, cash on hand, etc). to make up the difference. I agree with Attorney Klein that you should show your financial documents to an experienced Immigration Attorney who might better be able to advise you on this matter.

Read more
Answered on 4/04/13, 8:17 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in California