Legal Question in Immigration Law in California

Getting married to a permanant resident

Thank you for your time and attention.

I have questions on 2 different topics.

First, I am a permanant resident (green card). If I get married to a H1-B Visa holder, what are her options? Can she continue to stay and work in this country? What process would she need to follow? This is a real situation, I have been dating her for the last 2 years and presently, there is a fear that there may be some layoffs in her company. Will she be able to get permanant residency by getting married to me?

Next, when my green card expires, do I have to choose between being a citizen or leaving the country? Or can a green card be renewed?

Once again, thank you.

Asked on 11/17/04, 11:10 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Myron Morales Lee Lane Smith LLP

Re: Getting married to a permanant resident

If you marry, then she can claim LPR status through you. She can either continue working on her H-1B or get an EAD that will allow her to work anywhere. Once your card expires, you can renew it. If you have been an LPR for five years, then you can apply for citizenship.

[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 11/21/04, 6:23 am

Amy Ghosh Law Offices of Amy Ghosh

Re: Getting married to a permanant resident

Get married...and file later on after you become citizen

Read more
Answered on 11/19/04, 9:25 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in California