Legal Question in Insurance Law in California

Car Accident - Car Declared Totalled

Car was totalled by insurance comapny, this is a non-injury to human accident. We have decided to keep it because we don't want a new car payment. What are our options to recoup the $5600+ repairs to fix our car? Or is there a law in California that states the only amount we are entitled to is the bluebook minus salvage cost of the car? This is the first time we are seeking legal help.

Asked on 5/02/08, 2:29 pm

Experienced California Attorneys

At the Law Offices of Eslamboly & Barlavi we handle most types of Personal Injury Cases and Tort cases including: automobile, truck, motorcycle, pedestrian, bike, and slip and fall accidents, dog bites, wrongful death, legal malpractice, medical malpractice and products liability cases. We only get paid if we recover compensation for you. Visit our website or call 1-800-LAW-TALK.

For more information visit us at

1 Answer from Attorneys

Edward Hoffman Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman

Re: Car Accident - Car Declared Totalled

Your insurance policy likely allows the insurer to deem the car totaled if the costs of repair exceed the value of the car. You may be able to work out a deal with the company under which you can keep the car, but you can't make it give you the full cost of the repairs. If the company were willing to give you that much money it would not have declared the car totaled in the first place.

Read more
Answered on 5/05/08, 3:55 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Insurance Law questions and answers in California