Legal Question in Insurance Law in California

What happens if you get into a car accident with out insurance?

Asked on 8/18/11, 12:57 pm

Experienced California Attorneys

At the Law Offices of Eslamboly & Barlavi we handle most types of Personal Injury Cases and Tort cases including: automobile, truck, motorcycle, pedestrian, bike, and slip and fall accidents, dog bites, wrongful death, legal malpractice, medical malpractice and products liability cases. We only get paid if we recover compensation for you. Visit our website or call 1-800-LAW-TALK.

For more information visit us at

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Stone Law Offices of Michael B. Stone Toll Free 1-855-USE-MIKE

1. DMV will suspend your driver license for 6 months, and if you were at fault your license could remain suspended forever until you either pay for the other party's damages or file for bankruptcy.

2. If you were injured in the accident, your right to recover damages is severely limited and for all practical purposes you won't be able to sue, even if you're severely disabled and require future medical care. If you are sued, you will have to pay your own attorney fees to defend the lawsuit (your insurance company would pay for your legal defense in civil court).

If you were involved in an accident and you were uninsured, get all necessary medical attention, file a form SR-1 with the DMV, and buy a bus pass.

Read more
Answered on 8/18/11, 1:08 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Insurance Law questions and answers in California