Legal Question in International Law in California

I was Canadien Citizen. For some reasons I came and became a permanent resident with Green Card in USA. Then I have had two Passports from Canada and USA for traveling back and forward. Is it legally for me to carry both Passports at the same time while traveling? And also, two driver license in my pocket? Thanks for your great answer.

Asked on 12/18/12, 6:48 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrew Harrell W. Andrew Harrell, Attorney at Law

You still are a Canadian citizen. When you become a U.S. citizen, you retain your Canadian citizenship. If you have two passports, I'm assuming one is Canadian and the other is U.S. You should carry both passports. Whenever you enter or leave the U.S., it is federal law that you present the U.S. passport. Driver's licenses are a state matter. I think most jurisdictions prefer that you have only one driver's license. However, that isn't practical if you have residences in two places.

Read more
Answered on 12/18/12, 7:10 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More International Law questions and answers in California