Legal Question in Employment Law in California

I was assaulted by the bosses son .(his father owns the company) Can I be fired if I file a police report for the incident? It occurred during working hours.

Asked on 12/18/12, 8:22 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Jacob Kiani Law Office of Jacob I. Kiani

Based on these limited facts, the answer is no. Sounds like you would have a good claim for retaliation if you can prove that was what was behind the adverse employment decision.

Read more
Answered on 12/19/12, 12:20 am
Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

While you are an 'at will' employee that generally can be disciplined or fired any time for any reason, it could be reasonably argued that reporting a crime at work would bring you under the protection of the whistle-blower statutes. If it happens, feel free to contact me.

Read more
Answered on 12/19/12, 8:11 am

You also may file a worker's compensation claims for your work-related injuries including trauma. Feel free to call us at 213.388.7070 for a free consultation.

Read more
Answered on 12/19/12, 12:50 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in California