Legal Question in Employment Law in California

My employer promised to provide me with health insurance through the firm's small group plan (in California). A regular amount is taken from every paycheck to cover my share of the premium. I was recently diagnosed with brain cancer and began treatment. I confirmed with my employer that I could take a leave from work and that he would continue to provide my health insurance. I just found out that the boss's wife (the supposed office manager) neglected to pay the premiums for over two months and the entire group plan was cancelled - threatening my treatment. What, if anything, can I do about getting my treatment paid for?

Asked on 7/03/13, 2:04 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Kristine Karila Law Office of Kristine S. Karila

Call an employment law attorney to discuss. If the policy was canceled because of your employer's negligence and not your own, you may be able to hold your employer responsible for the debt.

Read more
Answered on 7/03/13, 4:23 pm

John Laurie Gertz and Laurie

You need to get an attorney to represent you. You should have bee given notice by the insurance company that the policy was cancelled. It may be possible that your employer can have the insurance reinstated. This is a serious matter. I will be happy to talk to you my phone number is 818 345-0123. My e mail is [email protected] We can help you with this matter and I offer a free consultation.

Read more
Answered on 7/03/13, 10:07 pm
Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

If you are entitled to be on the insurance, and they take your premium share to be paid for the coverage, then the employer is responsible to provide the insurance, or if they fail to do so, they are responsible for paying for your treatment and medical expenses to the same extent the insurance company would have.

Demand they get your insurance reinstated and your bills paid..

If they don't resolve this, and you need to hire an attorney to get your recovery from them, feel free to contact me.

Read more
Answered on 7/07/13, 2:03 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in California