Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in California

my apartment flooded due to a pipe bursting in our kitchen. WHat is the landlord required to do by law in california, los angeles county

Asked on 6/15/10, 1:34 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services

Repair the pipe. Other than that, it depends on what exactly happened as a result of the flooding and who was responsible for the pipe bursting.

Read more
Answered on 6/15/10, 5:17 pm

Your landlord is required to repair the pipe and any damage caused as a consequence of the flooding. It is also possible that your apartment had become uninhabitable due to the loss of water service and the conditions caused by the flooding.

You may have additional rights if you live in the city of Los Angeles under the city's rent stabilization ordinance. If you do live in the city of Los Angeles, you should contact Los Angeles Housing Department and explain the situation. They will advise you further.

Read more
Answered on 6/15/10, 11:33 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in California