Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in California

How to evict someone from my home who does not pay rent?

Asked on 6/25/10, 11:53 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Gibbs The Gibbs Law Firm, APC

Hire an attorney . . . or, you can do it yourself. The process is far too long and involved to describe in a post on this site. You have some options. Most Courts actually now have some information on their website about the procedures for filing an eviction. Before you can file an eviction, however, you need to give the tenant a notice to pay rent or quit. How long that notice needs to be depends on your lease, so review that. Once you have properly served a Notice to Pay Rent or Quit, you then file your eviction lawsuit. Again, look on your County Superior Court website (for the County in which you live) and most have some bare-bone instructions.

There are also books available, websites available and other resources. You will have to pay for all of those. In many cases, by the time you find and purchase the resources, have many delays because you possibly did this or that wrong, it is often less expensive to just hire an attorney and get it done right the first time!

*Due to the limitations of the LawGuru Forums, The Gibbs Law Firm, APC's (the "Firm") participation in responding to questions posted herein does not constitute legal advice, nor legal representation of the person or entity posting a question. No Attorney/Client relationship is or shall be construed to be created hereby. The information provided is general and requires that the poster obtain specific legal advice from an attorney. The poster shall not rely upon the information provided herein as legal advice nor as the basis for making any decisions of legal consequence. As required by 11 U.S.C. �528, we must now disclose that, "We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code. Assistance we provide with respect to Debt Relief may involve bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code."

Read more
Answered on 6/25/10, 3:07 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in California