Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in California

Neighbors music too loud!!!, Do I have recourse?????

I live in a 5 unit Townhouse in Los Angeles, all the occupants are owners, recently the unit next door to me was sold to a couple from Russia. They love to blast their music and all we can hear is the bass through our walls. I'm not the only neighbor complaining, is their any recourse????? Pleaseeeeee help!!!!!

Asked on 7/20/03, 10:23 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Larry Rothman Larry Rothman & Associates

Re: Neighbors music too loud!!!, Do I have recourse?????

There may be a violation of the CC& R's. The neighbor and associatoin may be liable. Please contact our office for an appointment.

Read more
Answered on 7/22/03, 3:08 pm

Wayne Wisong Wayne Wisong, Attorney at Law

Re: Neighbors music too loud!!!, Do I have recourse?????

Among owners, this is a difficult one. You really have only three choices. One is to call the police and complain of them disturbing the peace. Do it after 10 pm. This will not make your neighbors very friendly. Two, is sue them for nuisance, again, hardly a warm fuzzy way to welcome someone to america. My preferred choice, three, would be to try to talk to them if you can, and ask them if they could please, please hold down their stereo. Californians have a kind of sensitivity about privacy that some folks in europe don't. They probably mean no harm. I think the kid gloves approach should be the first try. If the trouble persists, then let me know and we'll go from there.

Although I practice in Georgia, your question was sent to me because I am also a member of the California Bar.

Read more
Answered on 7/20/03, 10:30 pm
H.M. Torrey The Law Offices of H.M. Torrey

Re: Neighbors music too loud!!!, Do I have recourse?????

you may have a cause of action for private nuisance. feel free to email me with more details for further legal assistance.

Read more
Answered on 7/21/03, 4:18 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in California