Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in California

i rent from a family in a house, i moved in the 15th of may so my rent due is the 15th however i pay early because their rent is due every beginning of the month , now today as i gave them the money they decided to tell me that they're moving and we have to find our own place and if we find a place by the middle of the month we can have only 200 back. this sounds unfair to me because i should've had a 30 day notice. i plan on moving as soon as possible should i take legal action because of this?

Asked on 2/02/12, 9:05 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

In California, if you have rented a place for less than a year, you are entitled to a 30-day notice. You do not have to move out until 30 days from when you got the notice (today). If you do voluntarily choose to move out before that deadline, you are entitled to have your rent prorated and should be reimbursed for the days you've paid but not lived there. If $200 is less than prorated sum, you can file in a small claims court to get the balance.

Read more
Answered on 2/02/12, 9:35 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in California