Legal Question in Medical Malpractice in California


Well, the main question is this, how and when can I file a lawsuit against 5 different defendants. Which are all involved in the same medical procedure.

1. Healthcare provider

2. Heatlthcare sub provider

3. Emegency center

4. Medical Center

5. Doctor who performed the surgery, and or the follow up personnel.

The healthcare provider agreed to pay for my hospital expenses, but not the therapy which was the most important part. Now I cannot bend my leg or run or walk without obvious signs of instability. All this came about after a few letters were exchanged.

Asked on 1/24/01, 4:49 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Michael Cortson Law Office of Michael D. Cortson, Esq.

Re: Lawsuit

I need more information. As for the doctors, I need to know what they did and what your injury was in detail. You have to show they fell below the standard of care. As for the insurance company, I would need to see the policy to determine what was and was not covered. Your action against the insurance company is for bad faith. It is 2 different lawsuits. I practice in California and in Indiana. I go back and forth. If you have any documentation such as the policy and medical records I could review them.

Best regards,

Michael Cortson

attorney at law

Read more
Answered on 3/08/01, 10:11 am

Re: Lawsuit

You need to obtain repersentation immediately for your protection. The statute of limitations for professional negligence is one year from the date of discovery. There are also notice requirements in California which must be complied with prior to filing. Contact me directly at (619) 222-3504.

Read more
Answered on 3/08/01, 10:35 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Medical Malpractice Law questions and answers in California