Legal Question in Native American Law in California

70 yr old Tribal member recieves no funds from settled case

I am inquiring for a friend of mine who is a registered memeber of the Yurok tribe. Evidently this tribe was recently awarded funds to allocate to its members and she being a 70 year old elder of tribe, recieved none. She's feeling cheated and ostracized. What can she do? As far as I know the tribe still has not addressed this issue with her, and she's seeking legal advise outside of her tribe.If you have any recommendations as to what we should do please email me thank you

Asked on 5/12/08, 6:58 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bryan Whipple Bryan R. R. Whipple, Attorney at Law

Re: 70 yr old Tribal member recieves no funds from settled case

If you are speaking of the roughly $16,000 per capita to be distributed to Yuroks from the Hoopa-Yurok Settlement Act Fund, the best I can tell is that disribution began in January, 2008. I don't know whether distribution was handled by the tribe or the BIA, but if there is a possible dispute as to this lady's eligibility, or whether her check might have been lost or stolen, I would suggest contacting a BIA office as well as tribal administration. From what I've been able to learn, every tribal member is eligible, so if there is a dispute, it may center on a membership issue.

Read more
Answered on 5/12/08, 9:29 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Native American Law questions and answers in California