Legal Question in Personal Injury in California

3 cm dog bite on the thigh almost a year ago and are now suing for 100,000.00 stating pain and suffer, some permante disability. Can they sue for that much ?

Asked on 4/27/13, 6:39 pm

Experienced Mesothelioma Attorneys - SEG Law

Simon, Eddins & Greenstone, LLP, (SEG Law) is one of the country's most prominent trial law firms specializing in representing victims of cancer caused from exposure to hazardous substances such as asbestos. The firm was built on a shared passion to diligently and compassionately serve each client through every step of the legal process.

For more information visit us at

3 Answers from Attorneys


They can ask for that but the jury might not award that amount.

Read more
Answered on 4/27/13, 6:42 pm

Edward Hoffman Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman

The complaint in a personal injury lawsuit ordinarily won't ask for a specific dollar amount. But it is possible for a dog bite to justify a very large award, especially if it causes permanent injuries, requires expensive treatment regimens, and/or makes the victim less able to earn a living. Mr. Nelson is right that the amount may prove unrealistic, but that will depend upon facts that you haven't provided.

If you have homeowners' insurance, you should tender your defense to the insurer right away. If not, you should start looking for a good lawyer in your area.

Read more
Answered on 4/27/13, 7:49 pm
Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless


You get to defend it as best you can. Turn it over to your homeowners insurance if you have any. Otherwise, hire an attorney who will try to negotiate a 'reasonable' settlement, file appropriate motions, or take the case to trial.

Read more
Answered on 4/30/13, 1:46 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in California