Legal Question in Personal Injury in California

3 cm dog bite on the thigh almost a year ago and are now suing for 100,000.00 stating pain and suffer, some permante disability. Can they sue for that much ?

Asked on 4/27/13, 6:39 pm

Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys

The Law Offices of Eslamboly & Barlavi has over 20 years of experience helping victims of automobile, motorcycle, pedestrian, slip-and-fall accidents and much more all over California. We can help you recover for your pain and suffering and other losses and expenses. No recovery No fee. Visit our website or call us for a free consultation about your case at 1-800-LAW-TALK.

Find Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys

3 Answers from Attorneys


They can ask for that but the jury might not award that amount.

Read more
Answered on 4/27/13, 6:42 pm

Edward Hoffman Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman

The complaint in a personal injury lawsuit ordinarily won't ask for a specific dollar amount. But it is possible for a dog bite to justify a very large award, especially if it causes permanent injuries, requires expensive treatment regimens, and/or makes the victim less able to earn a living. Mr. Nelson is right that the amount may prove unrealistic, but that will depend upon facts that you haven't provided.

If you have homeowners' insurance, you should tender your defense to the insurer right away. If not, you should start looking for a good lawyer in your area.

Read more
Answered on 4/27/13, 7:49 pm
Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless


You get to defend it as best you can. Turn it over to your homeowners insurance if you have any. Otherwise, hire an attorney who will try to negotiate a 'reasonable' settlement, file appropriate motions, or take the case to trial.

Read more
Answered on 4/30/13, 1:46 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in California