Legal Question in Personal Injury in California

A friend borrowed my car to help a mutual friend of ours move out of an illegal campsite. The police came by while my friends were loading the car, and, because the friend who borrowed the car was on probation for a drug arrest, the police searched both him and my car. They didn't find anything, and my friend was allowed to go. However, during the search, the police broke the door handle right off of my driver's side door. Is there any chance that I could get the police to pay for the damage they did to my car? Neither I nor my friends had done anything wrong, and I can't afford to fix this myself. Thanks

Asked on 6/13/13, 4:00 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Laurie Gertz and Laurie

If you have insurance you may be able to make a claim with your insurance company. Would want to know more facts surrounding the search to answer your question.

This gratuitous response does not create an attorney client relationship. The advice provided herein is generic, may not apply to your circumstances and is not to be relied upon in your actions. An attorney client relationship is created only upon execution of an engagement letter hiring me or my firm.

Read more
Answered on 6/13/13, 10:31 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in California