Legal Question in Personal Injury in California

Can I sue CPS for defamation of character, court records state allegations of lewd and lascivious acts I committed on my grandchildren.

Asked on 5/16/13, 11:36 pm

Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys

The Law Offices of Eslamboly & Barlavi has over 20 years of experience helping victims of automobile, motorcycle, pedestrian, slip-and-fall accidents and much more all over California. We can help you recover for your pain and suffering and other losses and expenses. No recovery No fee. Visit our website or call us for a free consultation about your case at 1-800-LAW-TALK.

Find Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys

1 Answer from Attorneys

Edward Hoffman Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman

Probably not, but I would need to know more facts before I could say for sure. Statements made in litigation (whether written or oral, and whether made in court or out) are privileged from defamation lawsuits. So are statements made by public officials in the course and scope of their duties. It sounds like both of these privileges would apply here.

What's more, my guess is that CPS didn't accuse you but instead merely reported that other people had made such accusations. If that was an accurate statement, it wouldn't be defamatory even if the privileges did not apply.

As I said, though, I might see things differently if I had more facts.

Read more
Answered on 5/17/13, 12:40 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in California