Legal Question in Real Estate Law in California

I own vacation rental property in California. Am I required by law to rent to someone who has an "emotional support animal"? I understand the ADA allows service dogs, which I don't have any issues with, but emotional-support dogs don't fall under ADA laws, I believe.

Asked on 3/14/19, 12:08 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services

The key is whether it is a "service animal." Psychiatric service animals must be allowed. Mere emotional support animals are not covered. Furthermore, the protections only extend to dogs. To qualify as a service animal the dog must be individually trained specifically as a service animal. A good source for more information is here:

Read more
Answered on 3/14/19, 2:49 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in California