Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

How can I locate my fathers will? I have been estranged from my syblings & my step-mother for the last 2 years. My father and I did not communicate much in his last years of life because of the family conflict. I would like to view his will before it becomes 90 days after his passing to see if I was left any inheritance. I am the father of the only three grandchildren my father had, he had also created a college savings account for my oldest two children and I would like to know how to access that. I don't expect my third child to be in the will or have any financial inheritance, as my decision to have a child with my new wife is one of the issues between myself and my syblings and step-mother.

Asked on 4/16/13, 3:27 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Thomas Reid The Law Office of Thomas D. Reid, APC

You may want to contact your family and request a copy. If you are a beneficiary, you should have received a copy of any documents containing dispositive provisions in your name. Also, you may try to contact the court in the county in which your father last resided. When probate is initiated, a will is lodged with the court.

Read more
Answered on 4/16/13, 3:30 pm
ROBERTA AVRUTIN Roberta Avrutin Law Offices

Ditto. Mr. Reid gave you excellent advice.

Read more
Answered on 4/16/13, 5:35 pm
Charles Perry Law Offices of Charles R. Perry

If you know who your father's lawyer was, then you can contact that office and see if they will release a copy of the will to you. The possibilities mentioned by Mr. Reid are very good -- this is just another option if those he mentioned do not work.

Read more
Answered on 4/17/13, 1:55 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California