Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

My mother recently died. My sister said that she is named the trustee of my mom's Living Trust and that my mother left everything to her. She has not provided me a copy nor my brothers a copy of the Living Trust to see what my mothers wishes were? Does she have to provide us a copy and if so how long does she have to produce the copy. I live in Minnesota, my mother lived in California do I have to seek legal help in California or can I hire an attorney in Minnesota?

Asked on 8/06/09, 10:08 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Larry L. Doan Law Office of Larry L. Doan

Yes, you need to see a copy of this alleged living trust. You would want to find a California attorney since the trust, if it exists, would be governed by California law since the trust grantor (your mother) lived in California, and especially if your sister also lives there. However, if your sister lives in another state, then you'd probably want to find an attorney in that state because a lawsuit might have to be filed where the defendant (her) lives to force her to turn over the trust evidence to the court.

Read more
Answered on 8/06/09, 12:43 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California