Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

My ex is in prison for sex abuse to my daughter(non bio tohim), I divorced him in 08, no child support, no alimony could be collected. His dad just died, who was paying all his legal fees and money for him to use each month in can I find out if my two children with my ex husband where left anything by their grandfather(died in AZ) or if he left his son (in jail) a trust or money and if he did, can I touch any of that for my kids? Please advise...Michele

Asked on 6/24/10, 9:15 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Aaron Feldman Feldman Law Group

You can look up Court records for the County where the Dad died to see if a Probate was opened. But in addition, your daughter may have been awarded victim's compensation in the criminal action, but would also have a civil claim against your ex. You should consult with an attorney about her civil case because she might be able to get a judgment against your ex and then go after the inheritance from his Dad. If the Dad's estate was small then this may not be worth the effort.

Read more
Answered on 6/25/10, 9:48 am

Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach

You are going to have to search court records in Arizona. Some are public and some are not public. The link is here:

I know that family law cases are not searchable online for Arizona. I do not know whether probate cases are, but you will have to search under the grandfather's name. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 6/25/10, 11:38 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California