Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

I had a Will done back in 1986 in California. The attorney who prepared the Will and retained the original is no longer in practice. How do I locate that original Will? I need to revoke said Will at this time, until I can prepare a new one or codicil thereto. Your feedback is truly appreciated in this regard.

Asked on 2/22/19, 11:36 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Robert F. Cohen Law Office of Robert F. Cohen

You may prepare a new will that revokes all prior wills. Just use the same required formalities. In that case, there's no need to retrieve the old will from the retired attorney. If you wish to do so, you can write or call that attorney at the address listed on the State Bar website:

Read more
Answered on 2/22/19, 12:04 pm
Michele Cusack Pollak & Cusack

You don't need the old one in order to revoke it. Just make sure your new Will contains the language "I revoke all my prior Wills and Codicils."

Read more
Answered on 2/22/19, 3:42 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California