Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Colorado

Tennant Harassment of a Landlord

An evicted tenant has received and cashed his deposit return. Included was a statement of all deductions and copies of bills where appropriate. The deductions included:

∑Professional carpet cleaning agreed to in the written lease

∑Replacement of broken or damaged property as requested by the tenant because he did not have time to go buy it himself

∑Charges for damage that is not easily repaired. This involves three damaged areas to carpeting and tile that were in new condition or in fact were brand new when the tenant rented the property.

We have now receive continuous calls at all hours over the past seven months to say:

∑We will be taken to court

∑The charges are unfair

∑He needs another copy of the bills and letter previously sent

In the past we have had to call the Police to either escort us to the property or intervene because this person always drives a conversation to an argument and always seems on the verge of losing control.

My question is, can we get a restraining order against this person to force them to stop calling our home? If so, what is the procedure for getting this accomplished? If we canít get the court order, is there anything we can do legally to stop this harassment?

Asked on 12/07/00, 3:09 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Stanley Spring Stanley A. Spring, Attorney at Law

Re: Tennant Harassment of a Landlord

Go into your county court and get a civil restraing order. Generally you don't need an attorney. If the harrassing phone cals continue, call the police and they will put a tap on your phone and prosecute. Follow ALL the instructions from the court and police or you'll never be rid of this guy. Why do you need a police escort to go back to the property?

Read more
Answered on 12/08/00, 4:00 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Colorado