Legal Question in Business Law in Colorado

Business Bank Account

Is it legal for one director of a close corporation to strike the signatures from the signatory card of the other two directors of a business checking account

without approval of the board of directors or shareholders of that corporation.(3 shareholder S-Corp)

Asked on 1/10/02, 5:47 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Roger Johnson Roger D. Johnson, P.C.

Re: Business Bank Account

Generally, a bank will require a banking resolution at the time an account is opened. The resolution typically will contain the signatories authorized to sign on the account. A revocation or amendment would normally require a majority vote of the directors, unless a higher percentage is specified in the bylaws. Unilateral action by one director would normally not be valid. Theorizing from the circumstances you describe, the corporation likely has a claim for damages against the director who engaged in the unauthorized conduct, and possibly, the bank.

Read more
Answered on 1/10/02, 6:13 pm
Louise Aron Attorney at Law

Business Bank Account Signatories

Louise Aron

Attorney at Law

Lakewood Office:

1536 South Ingalls

Lakewood, Colorado 80232 USA

(303) 922 7687

fax (303) 922-1370

Cherry Creek Office:

300 South Jackson #100

Denver, Colorado 80209 USA

(303) 780-7339

Satellite offices:

Boulder - 4450 Arapahoe Avenue, #100

DTC - 4610 South Ulster, #150

A TOLL FREE NUMBER is available to clients outside the Denver metro area.

My email: [email protected]

My web site:

LawGuru User

Dear LawGuru User:

The documents signed with the bank (resolutions, signature cards), along with the Corporation's bylaws and resolutions (organizational and annual meetings or consents to action) must be reviewed to determine whether what was done is proper and legal. If the signature of any one of the directors was all that was required to make withdrawals, then any one of them can probably alter the account.

You have not provided enough information for me to form a definitive opinion, but I believe an attorney for the person or persons affected by the account change should write the bank, the Corporation and the director who gave new instructions to the bank. If this Corporation has value, then each person with an interest in it should assert their right to protect their share of its value and their power to affect its value.

Thank you for contacting LawGuru.


Louise Aron

Attorney at Law

My web site

Read more
Answered on 1/14/02, 1:37 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in Colorado