Legal Question in Criminal Law in Colorado

A lawyer for an insurance company is trying to gain a default judgement against my friend. They were served with a complaint saying they had 21 days to respond. They then tried to find a lawyer but couldn't because they have 0$ or assets. We talked to 2 lawyers of the 45 that we called and although they wouldn't get involved, they said not to let the response due date pass without filing one. So I called the plaintiff lawyer and asked what to do. They told me in a case like this(asking for 100k+) that they would have my friend fill out a financial affidavit, which she did, but by this time they are 3 days from a response due date. The paralegal told me that it would take their financial person 2weeks to go over and figure what if any settlement we could come to and to just take the default judgement because if we file a pro se response it would "put us into litigation and we don't want that". So I took my friend and filed a response with the court clerks instruction asking for more time. Now we have a letter saying we have about 4days to file a correct response. Please help

Asked on 1/10/14, 10:00 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Nitche Ward Ward Law & Associates, LLC

You should definitely get a lawyer involved. If they get a default against your friend the next step may be garnishment. If your friend is really hurt on funds - they may want to consider bankruptcy. Either way we can help with bankruptcy or litigation of your proceeding. If we work on the litigation aspect we may be able to work out a settlement. just remember that the plaintiff's attorneys are not working in your best interest. It is important to have your own advocate.

Give us a call and we can set you up for an appointment. Let's start by seeing what type of options you may have.

Our number is 303-872-3249


Ward Law & Associates, LLC

12200 E Iliff Ave Suite 101

Aurora CO 80014

Let them know that you spoke with me on Law Guru and I am sure we can work on getting you a discount. We also have very affordable payment plans.

Read more
Answered on 2/16/14, 9:19 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Colorado