Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Colorado

Landlords taking money

I recently moved out of an apartment. I received a letter in the mail stating they were going to take my deposit and that I owed an additional $700. Some of the stuff listed as damaged and replace I will admit needed to be replaced. However, many things that they listed as replaced did not need to be. Can the landlords demand additional money (besides the deposit) without taking the matter to court? How can I fight this?

Asked on 12/30/01, 1:34 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Louise Aron Attorney at Law

Renters' rights

Louise Aron

Attorney at Law

Lakewood Office:

1536 South Ingalls

Lakewood, Colorado 80232 USA

(303) 922 7687

fax (303) 922-1370

Cherry Creek Office:

300 South Jackson #100

Denver, Colorado 80209 USA

(303) 780-7339

Satellite offices:

Boulder - 4450 Arapahoe Avenue, #100

DTC - 4610 South Ulster, #150

A TOLL FREE NUMBER is available to clients outside the Denver metro area.

My email: [email protected]

My web site

LawGuru User

Dear LawGuru User:

Unfortunately I do not have expertise in this area (I practice real estate law, not landlord/tenant law).

A search for "renters rights Colorado" or "tenants rights Colorado" on the internet will give you quite a bit of information. Also, tenants with low incomes who are Denver residents may contact the Legal Aid Society of Metropolitan Denver, which I think has a program which makes attorneys available to them.

Thank you for using LawGuru.


Louise Aron

Attorney at Law

Read more
Answered on 1/07/02, 12:51 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Colorado