Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Colorado

We made an offer to buy a home in Colorado and have just been told that the sellers are relocating and we'll have to deal with a relocation company. Although county records show the seller's family to be the owners, we're being told that the relocation company will sign the contract and necessary paperwork. There also seems to be a family owned trust involved in the process. The relocation company wants us to sign several additional papers, most of which seem to be designed to relieve them of any responsibility after the sale. Is this normal for a relocation sale? We feel like we should proceed with caution but should we get a lawyer?

Asked on 1/28/14, 11:53 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Dave Rich Flatiron Legal Advisors, LLC

This seems unusual. I would definitely feel better having a lawyer review any documents that they want you to sign that are not standard real estate documents. I do this sort of work on a flat fee basis for FSBO buyer - I review all the documents (including title work, deeds, contracts, etc.) for $700, or I can review just the relocation company's "additional" documents at my normal hourly rate of $235 per hour, billed in 1/10th hour increments. Let me know if I can be of assistance.


Dave Rich

Read more
Answered on 2/03/14, 11:19 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Colorado