Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Colorado

My husband and I have a will that was done by a local lawyer in Colorado. The will establishes guardianship for our children. We want to change the guardian. How do we go about doing this? Does the will have to be redone by the lawyer or is there a notarized amendment or form to file that we could attach to the existing will making this change? And if so would we need to provide a copy of this to the lawyer that did the will? What is the most cost effective method?

Asked on 12/29/16, 8:52 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Murillo Pivotal Legal Ltd.

You can make a codicil to the will to change that provision. The codicil must be executed in the same manner as the will. There is no general form for this so either your attorney will do this or you will have to understand how to do this correctly.

You don't file codicils. You just attach it as part of the original will. You don't need to provide a copy to the lawyer who did your will unless you had an agreement that required them to be provided any changes. The most cost-effective method is for you to learn the law and complete the form. This, of course, has the most risk. The most intelligent method is to have an experienced estate planning attorney do this.

Read more
Answered on 12/30/16, 6:46 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Colorado