Legal Question in Family Law in Connecticut

Ct laws when one is totally disabled

I have been totally disabled since 1991. We have been married since 1985. He has been having an affair since June of last year. He said he wanted a divorce but would not file. I dont think it is fair to me I have given him every chance in the world to change his mind. Seeing he wouldnt file for divorce, I did, but cant afford an Attorney so I am doing it pro-se. He hasnt given me any money since the beginning of March, I have been stuck paying all the bills and now am becoming totally broke. Will I be stuck selling the house? I received a settlement from a car accident a few months prior to purchase, I paid off bills, put money down on the house and put a lot of money into fixing it up as it was a foreclosure and needed a lot of work. No one tells you anything, I have filed for him to give me some money but it was only last wk. I thought when I filed and asked for alimony, that meant right away, until I was told I had to put in a motion. (he is if not already trying to settle a w/c injury, arent I entitled to at least part of this seeing we had to take out a 2nd mortgage because of that as well as a few other things we wanted done to the house.)

Asked on 4/15/08, 8:36 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Sarah Summons Law Offices of Sarah F. Summons

Re: Ct laws when one is totally disabled

You are deciding your future by the seat of your pants. Not a wise decision. You need an attorney. You can request that he pay attorney fees if he earns more than you and he should continue to pay for the home if his name is on the deed and/or mortgage. don't try to do this without an attorney representing you. You have too much at stake. Best.

Read more
Answered on 4/15/08, 8:45 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Connecticut