Legal Question in Family Law in Connecticut

Good afternoon,

My wife took my locked personal laptop out of our home without my authorization and took the laptop to friends of hers and the laptop was accessed and my affair came to light. Aside from the moral aspect of this question, did her friends break any laws? Am I available to file a police report? I live in the state of CT. Can the information gained through their actions be used against me in the military or family court?

Asked on 11/16/17, 10:20 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Linda Subbloie Linda A. Subbloie, Esq.

Yes, her and her friend may have violated CT criminal laws by gaining access to your computer without your permission. You may want to review CGS 53-451 and 53-251. There are other additional statutes as well. They could be arrested. The evidence of the affair may not be admissible in the family court because it was obtained illegally, however, it's been a while since I've reviewed the case law on this subject. I'm sure there is a lot more case law available today on this subject than the last time I delved into it. I can't address whether the military would allow the admissibility of the evidence since they have their own sets of rules regarding military members and adultery.

Read more
Answered on 11/16/17, 3:01 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Connecticut