Legal Question in Family Law in Connecticut

I have a post-divorce Stipulation in Connecticut for the CT Educational Support Order, which states that my ex husband and I must each contribute $2,500.00 per calendar year towards the education expenses of our son. Son is now commuting to college full-time and living at home with me full time, spending no time with his father, I pay for all housing, food, his cell phone some clothing and I pay his car insurance for his car he commutes to college with. May I count his "room and board towards the $2,500.00? May I count the other expenses such as the car insurance?

Asked on 11/21/17, 2:54 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Max Rosenberg Rosenberg,Whewell, & Hite, LLC

"CT Educational Support Orders may include support for any necessary educational expense, including room, board, dues, tuition, fees, registration, and application costs. But such expenses cannot exceed the amount UConn charges full-time, in-state students at the time the child covered by the order enrolls, unless the parents agree to pay more. Orders can also include the costs of books and the child's medical insurance.

The court can order that payments be made (1) to a parent to be forwarded to the college or school, (2) directly to the educational institution, or (3) otherwise as the court determines appropriate. "

Suffice to say, if your order is vague, you can either negotiate with your ex or make a Motion for Clarification of the Order. Good luck. Feel free to contact us if we can be of further assistance. 203.870.6700

Read more
Answered on 12/06/17, 10:14 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Connecticut