Legal Question in Insurance Law in Delaware

House Fire

My husband's house burnt down and there is a provision in the homeowner's policy that allows us to recoup the costs of any rent we lose. We were renting the house, but the original signed contract was lost in the fire. The only lease contract that my husband has in his possession only contains his signature, not the renter's. How do we prove that the renter signed the contract in January 2001 for a 2 1/2 year lease without the renter's signature on our copy?

Thanks for your help.

Asked on 10/04/02, 4:57 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Louis (Buck) Vocelle Vocelle & Berg, LLP

Re: House Fire

One way is to get the renter's assurance that the lease was signed and that absent the signature, they never would have rented to you. The easiest wat is to simply ask the landlord fro a fully executed copy of the lease.

Read more
Answered on 10/04/02, 5:40 pm
David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.

Re: House Fire

Contact the renter and ask for his copy of the lease. In the alternative have him sign an affidavit that there was a signed lease.

Read more
Answered on 10/04/02, 6:10 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Insurance Law questions and answers in Delaware