Legal Question in Real Estate Law in District of Columbia

We live in the district of Columbia... The home we live in is currently under my biological grandfather's name (Nor) who died in 2010. His wife (Ma) has been in and out of hospice for the past 2 years and has suffered from Alzheimer's since 2009 (there is 0% chance of recovery, she's also 94 years old)... Ma came in to the marriage with 2 kids and then had 2 biological children with Nor.

As of now I have been living in this home for the past 2 years and have been fighting Ma's 2 kids that are not biologically Nor's kids for the home. How do i go about obtaining ownership of the home? Do they really have a claim to the home since Ma was already diagnosed with Alzheimer's before Nor's death? Since Ma is not in the mental capacity to sign the deed over to me, who does?

Asked on 11/14/15, 6:43 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Daniel Press Chung & Press, P.C.

Assuming Nor and Ma had no wills and the house was just in Nor's name, the house passed on Nor's death 50% to Ma and 50% to the 4 kids (12.5% each). When Ma dies, her 50% will pass to her 2 kids, 25% each, for a total of 37.5, 37.5, 12.5 and 12.5. As a grandchild, you don't get anything unless your parent (the immediate child of Ma and Nor) is already deceased, in which case you and any siblings inherit equal shares of your parent's share.

Read more
Answered on 11/14/15, 8:03 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in District of Columbia