Legal Question in Business Law in Florida

I bought a business in Hillborough County Florida in August. It was an exisitng bar/restaurant. It had been using a special SRX lisc, that I too bought. The SRX requirement is taht you must have 4,000 sq ft. The lease that was assigned to me was for 4,000 sq ft. I have since had two people measure the square footage between 3840-3860 square feet. I have signed lisc applications attesting to the fact it was 4,000 sw ft, which at the time I thought it was. Also, I am paying in my lease for 4,000 sq ft. If FL div of alcohol choose to measure I could possbily loose the lisc and face a fine. Is there anyhitng I can do? I am worried that they will find out and I will lose the lisc, which end my business. I feel that I have been conned into this business under false info. If caught i can not pay the fine. Should I self report myself bc I have signed documetns and given false info? I need hlep to sleep. Thanks

Asked on 10/13/09, 11:34 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Sarah Grosse Sarah Grosse, Esquire

To sleep, you should self-report, and pay the fine you know you owe. You do not present any defense other than lack of knowledge, and lack of knowledge is normally not a defense to stat. fines.

If you have a multi-million dollar property, I'm sure your real estate attonrey has already told you this. Or, maybe he is on the golf course today? Or on vacation? Are you sure your attorney is doing things in your best interest? Cheaper and more novice attorneys have cheaper and more novice approaches. Just a suggestion.

Guys on the golf course on Saturday can once in a while be fucked by a younger, faster, hungry young attorney. Keep that in mind, and good luck.

Read more
Answered on 10/17/09, 1:44 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in Florida