Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Florida

Hi I owe a car loan for a car that was stolen and the car company that I owe money to is harrasing my family member. Can they legally do this even though my parents are not cosigners and I am no longer living with them. I lived with them when I initially got the car but since moved out of state. Why are they harrasing them and do they have the legal right to do so. And what can my parents do to stop the harrassments

Asked on 8/13/09, 7:00 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Philip Duvalsaint Philip A. Duvalsaint, P.A.

No they cannot. This may be a violation of the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act. Each violation may give rise to statutory damages of up to $1,000.00 and attorney's fees. Have your parents document each contact and consult with an attorney as soon as possible.

Read more
Answered on 8/14/09, 12:24 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Florida