Legal Question in Criminal Law in Florida

Disperate! I am innocent, and I have an eyewitness, and my public defender does nothing

except to tell me I am not able to plea, had me evaluated incompent, and to be now evaluated as insane, and has not questioned my eyewitness, and saying there is no fingerprints, no physical evidence, and is only going by the 3 witnesses statements stating I am guilty of a crime. What shall I do, get another attorney, I am unemployed for 4 months, and need real help!!! I am going insane, for lack of justice.

Asked on 7/09/13, 5:08 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Eric Trabin The Trabin Law Firm

You have the right to hire your own attorney if you want to and are able to do so, but ultimately a person who is ruled incompetent may not enter a plea nor can they be taken to trial. A person must understand the system they are in and be able to assist in their own defense. If experts find a person incompetent to proceed then the case will not proceed. Generally, at least two experts must find the person incompetent to proceed. If the court has ruled that you are incompetent to proceed then your case cannot yet proceed to trial. If you believe that you are competent to proceed to trial then you are welcome to raise the issue with the court by hiring a private attorney or by convincing the experts who have already evaluated you.

Read more
Answered on 7/09/13, 5:16 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Florida