Legal Question in Criminal Law in Florida

An individual is giving legal advice, drafting court documents, and uses a non-profit foundation which he is no longer an officer at but has registered it with immigration court so he can represent clients through it. He charges for his services and files the first part of court documents but then abandons the case and does not follow through but has retained money from "clients". He is not an attorney in the USA and gets group of us ("former clients") have gotten together to file a complain. We are not sure where to start, should we file with the local police? or where do we go? please help!

Asked on 4/24/12, 8:30 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Hannah Bugg The Law Office of Hannah G Bugg, P.A.

If this individual is holding himself out as an attorney, but is not licensed to practice law in Florida, then you should file a complaint with The Florida Bar. Copy and paste the following link in your web browser. This website is the Florida Bar's website with information about the process of filing a complaint with the Bar for the unlicensed practice of law:

In case that link doesn't work for you, you can also find the same information by going to and clicking on "For the Public" on the left side of the page and then choosing "Unlicensed Law Practice" under the "Consumer Information" heading.

Read more
Answered on 4/25/12, 2:47 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Florida